Feb
26
2020

At Brilliance, we have made a commitment to volunteering as a team once each quarter of the year. This first quarter of 2020 we went back to one of our favorite places to volunteer – The Gathering of Southeast Wisconsin!

The Gathering is a local nonprofit hunger-relief organization focused on feeding Milwaukee’s hungry and homeless. Their Community Meal Programs, in operation since 1982, serve between 80,000-90,000 free home cooked meals annually. They are one of Wisconsin’s largest volunteer-based meal program with 1,500-2,000 volunteers every year. So far in 2020, The Gathering has served 3,425 meals to their guests through four neighborhood based sites.

The majority of the food (88%) is donated from government commodities, local food banks, restaurants, bakeries, coffee shops, grocery stores, wholesalers, farmers and individuals. The remaining 12% is purchased. Each year The Gathering receives between 80 and 120 TONS of donated food valued at over $200,000.

Due to the growing size of our team, we were divided into two groups in order to volunteer on two separate mornings. We served breakfast, helped set up the food line, and cleaned up after our shift, but the rewarding part was having our “Good morning!” greetings reciprocated with a smile. We can’t wait to volunteer again for this fantastic organization.

Click here for ways to help The Gathering.